Open Call: Local/International Expert(s) on Fundraising and Self-financing StrategyFiona
About YIHR KS
Youth Initiative for Human Rights – Kosovo (YIHR KS), established in 2004, is a human rights organization which works towards protecting and promoting human rights and democratic values not only in Kosovo but also in the Western Balkans region. In particular, YIHR KS is focused on the processes of dealing with the past, protecting human rights and the rule of law, and strengthening youth at the local and regional levels.
Background and purpose of the consultancy
Youth Initiative for Human Rights Kosovo is looking for expert(s) to work with us and our members to develop our Fundraising and Self-Financing Strategy 2024-2028. YIHR KS is currently undergoing an organizational development process to address its internal and external challenges. The Fundraising and Self-Financing Strategy YIHR KS is the main document that defines the income and fundraising generating streams that the organization can create in order to have a more sustainable operation through years and better optimize its expertise and available resources:
The Fundraising and Self-financing Strategy should:
- Analyze organization’s programmatic activities and previous work with a critical and learning lens (where is the organization particularly effective and successful, where is it not) and derive a list of services that are marketable.
- Be based on available resources that the organization has, including anticipated trends and adaptation measures that YIHR KS should take to position itself as a more effective fundraiser and service offeror.
- Chart a compelling self-financing and fundraising strategy which is informed by consultation of YIHR KS programmatic focus, target groups, available resources and markets having in center YIHR KS unique value proposition.
- Articulate clear fundraising and income generating mechanisms and spell out the market logic, approach and capacities that YIHR KS should deploy to operationalize the mechanisms.
- Map the implications of fundraising and service offerings on the organization’s internal structure, staffing, processes and chart a clear operational plan to make the internal changes required for the implementation of the strategy.
- List the prerequisites and if needed the additional resources needed for making the mechanisms operational specifying possible results.
- Ensure full operational focus and alignment with the strategic objectives.
- Align YIHR KS’s self financing strategy to capacities of the organization.
The Fundraising and Self-financing Strategy should include:
- A review of YIHR KS’s expertise during 2019 – 2023 and propose a list of services that may derive from YIHR KS programmatic expertise, focus population and market of operation.
- An assessment of the current YIHR KS resources and derive a list of services that these resources may market.
- Online fundraising strategies articulating online fundraising and income generation mechanisms that YIHR KS may apply nationally and internationally.
- A list of most viable self financing and fundraising mechanisms and a matrix assessment of all mechanisms listing YIHR-KS’s strength and weaknesses in making each mechanism operational.
- Target populations or market for each fundraising or financing mechanism;
- A list of the resources needed for all the mechanisms.
- Provide an activity based schedule for implementing online fundraising and 2 most viable fundraising/self financing mechanisms.
- A results’ framework which outlines more precisely YIHR KS’s steps that need to be taken in implementing the strategy and make a plan of action prioritizing the set of actions.
Role and deliverables of the expert(s):
To meet the above-mentioned objectives, YIHR KS will expect the selected consultant(s) to:
- Conduct desk research and consultations with YIHR KS staff, board and assembly of members, partners, donors, beneficiaries and other relevant stakeholders.
- Review YIHR KS field of expertise and available resources (provide feedback).
- Analyze the best practices on NGO fundraising and self financing practices.
- Clearly draft and concentrate on mechanisms that are more viable for reaching sustainability in terms of finance.
- Ensure that the final fundraising and self-financing framework clearly can generate a specific amount of funds during a year.
- Clearly give instructions on operationalizing the online mechanism.
- Meeting the timeframe and deadlines agreed with YIHR KS.
- Draft and finalize a written document that incorporates all of the above requirements listed in all sections of this document.
Timeframe & coordination:
This assignment is expected to be finished by June 2023.
The consultant will work closely with the YIHR KS staff, which will supervise the consultant’s work, progress and deliverables. The progress will be assessed on a regular basis so that any required adaptation can be agreed in a timely manner.
Consultancy Competencies, Experience and Skill Requirements:
Individual consultants possessing the qualifications outlined below are invited to apply.
- Demonstrated experience in facilitating organizational development of non-profit organizations, including tangible previous experience in relation to development of fundraising and financial sustainability strategies for the NGOs.
- Knowledge on local and regional socio-political context and human rights activities of NGOs in Kosovo and region.
- Familiarity with YIHR KS’s mission, vision and areas of work.
- Program design and methodological experience in relation with YIHR KS’s fields of work will be considered an asset.
- Excellent business acumen, research and writing skills.
Deadline and submission of expression of interest:
If you are interested in supporting our strategy development process and meet the criteria, please send us your application via email at email@example.com with the subject reading “Fundraising and Self-financing Strategy Development 2024-2028” no later than February 16, 2023. Your application should include:
- Expression of interest indicating your understanding of the assignment and relevant skills and experiences with the strategy development, including the CV.
- Proposed methodology and related timeframe.
- Financial proposal comprising detailed quotation for the assignment, showing proposed working days, expected fee and availability.
- Contact details of two references/previous clients that can comment on your ability to accompany strategy development.
Incomplete proposals will not be considered for further evaluation. Proposals received after the exact time specified for receipt of applications will not be evaluated.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.